Both costume companies and parents should take note of Claudia Winkleman's shocking story of her eight-year-old daughter Matilda catching fire when she was trick-or-treating last year. Matilda wanted to go trick-or-treating as a witch, so Claudia bought her a standard witch costume from a supermarket. One of the houses they visited had a Jack-O-Lantern with an open flame. Matilda's dress came in contact with it, and before Claudia knew it, her daughter was on fire.

Claudia Winkleman's interview with Chris

The full interview with Claudia Winkleman from last night's Watchdog. She relives the moment her daughter Matilda's Halloween dress went up in flames.

Posted by BBC Watchdog on Friday, May 15, 2015

Luckily, a dad that was one the scene sprung into action, pushing Matilda on the ground and patting the fire out with the assistance of Claudia. Even though they took the fire out, Matilda suffered severe burns that required a long recovery period.

Claudia, herself a popular television host, told her story to BBC Watchdog in May, but it's getting attention again as Halloween approaches. She started a petition demanding stricter flame testing on children's Halloween costumes. Her supporters have also called on parents to use battery-powered candles instead of a real ones. 


It's time to add Halloween costumes to the list of everyday household things that are trying to kill you.

Sources: Buzzfeed