This is why you should double check the 'pepper' on your potato chips.

This is why you should double check the 'pepper' on your potato chips.
Advertising

Emily Wagoner was an ordinary American responsibly chowing down on some potato chips earlier this week at a Pita Pit in Beaverton, Oregon, when the unthinkable happened. She suddenly realized that what she thought were specks of black pepper were actually dead ants.

https://giphy.com/gifs/dislike-barf-snEoxV8grx3by

Her tweet about the scarring experience went viral, with almost 8,000 people declaring their approval for dead ants in snack foods (I guess?) by liking the post.

For some reason, Wagoner reasoned that the correct response to this experience was to "never go to pita pit ever OMFG," even though the chips were in a sealed Miss Vickie's Sea Salt & Vinegar bag. (Sidenote: sea salt & vinegar & pepper chips sounds good.)

Pita Pit staff offered her a new bag of chips, but obviously Wagoner never wants to eat chips ever again. Later, the Pita Pit USA corporate office reached out to her via Twitter to offer a $50 gift certificate, she told Cosmopolitan. But Emily didn't think that was sufficient, especially because staff at the time did not apologize or refund the rest of her meal and, y'know, the ants thing.

Advertising
https://giphy.com/gifs/monday-2Q7JjynZVkkrm

In Pita Pit's defense, I worked at a Pita Pit in college and it was, like, really clean. Though, to be fair to Emily, we did not open every bag of chips to check for bugs, and that was clearly an oversight.

Advertising