On January 26, mere days before the visit of Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, Florida health inspectors checked out the kitchen at Donald Trump's Florida estate/club, Mar-a-Lago. What they found was unsettling, and resulted in 13 violations. According to the Miami Herald, that's a record for a fancy club that charges $200,000 in initiation fees.
Not all of the violations were considered serious, but three of them were classified as “high priority,” because of the potential for illness-causing bacteria. The inspectors found raw fish that had not been treated for parasites, and they also found undercooled meat being stored in broken coolers.
Overall, the inspectors deemed that Mar-a-Lago's kitchen met the bare minimum health standards, but that's probably not comforting news to the club members and foreign dignitaries that frequent Mar-a-Lago. Because, besides the mishandled raw fish, the health inspectors also found inadequately cooled meat in two of the club's coolers. The meat should have been stored at 41 degrees, but the inspectors noted that the chicken was 49 degrees, duck and beef were 50 degrees, and ham clocked in at a truly disgusting 57 degrees. Ewww. The inspectors cited Mar-a-Lago for the coolers and they were ordered to have them emptied and repaired.
Other infractions include the too-cold-to-sanitize-hands water coming from the kitchen faucet, and the rusty knives stored in the walk-in coolers.
The Miami Herald reports that Donald Trump used to spend more time in the kitchen, but during the campaign and now that he's president, he hasn't had time to stay on top of it. When he was more involved, Mar-a-Lago used to pass inspections with at most one or two violations. For example, in 2015 the kitchen was cited for just two violations, but in 2016 it racked up 11. And after the most recent visit in January, Mar-a-Lago's kitchen got hit with the record-breaking 13 violations.
Hopefully the health inspectors' report will spur Trump to get his mess of a kitchen handled. No one wants to eat ham that's been stored at 57 degrees.