Advertising

A case report in the journal JAMA Opthamology recounts the eye-watering story of a Scottish woman who accidentally poured vape liquid into her eye after confusing it for her prescription eye drops. Luckily she was OK, but as you can imagine, the experience was none too pleasant.

The woman, who is in her 50s, immediately knew something was up. She immediately suffered pain, redness, and blurred vision. Plus her eye suddenly couldn't stop talking about EDM.

Advertising

She quickly rinsed out the juice, preventing any serious damage from taking place. She went to the hospital, where doctors determined the vape oil had a pH of six, meaning it was mildly acidic. But still, who even knows what's in that crap?

As the authors of the study point out, vape liquid typically comes in bottles very similar to eye drop bottles, without any warning label explaining what to do if the user accidentally squirts it into their damn eyeball.

Advertising
Just asking for trouble.
Just asking for trouble.
Shutterstock

Will this unfortunate incident lead to greater regulation of the fledgling vape industry? Right now it's the wild west out there. And while we're at it, maybe we can make it illegal to exhale a giant cloud of sickly-sweet vapor onto somebody walking by on the street. Punishable by death.