World Goth Day takes place on May 22. It's a day when the Goth scene gets to celebrate its own being and make its presence known to the rest of the world. It originated as 'Goth Day' in the United Kingdom in 2009, but the following year expanded across the globe. Aspects of Goth culture like fashion, music, and art are celebrated by fashion shows, art exhibitions, and music performances. In 2016 there were over 40 events across the world in countries including the United Kingdom, United States, Canada, Australia, Singapore, Brazil, Mexico, Spain, Macedonia, and South Africa.
How To Celebrate World Goth Day
- Take over the radio! You and your friends can canvas your local radio stations (or supersize your efforts and take on the national stations) to get them to play at least one track by a Goth band. It may be best to stick to the classics, such as something by Siouxsie and The Banshees, The Cure, or The Cult.
- Support your local Goth night. Compared to your local "normals" club nights, Goth nights have a hard time surviving and have a habit of disappearing. Promoters run Goth nights against many obstacles, be it venue issues, customer numbers, all manner of problems. One thing they all share in common is they're doing it for the scene, not for the money.
- Go out and dance! Pencil in a babysitter for May 22 and check what Goth gear still fits. You and your better half have earned it. The good news is that the dance you did at your friend's wedding probably won't get laughed at during Goth night.
- Hang out alone. If you're not super-social, no worries. Dress up in full regalia and dance around your bedroom to Goth songs in your head!
- If you're a Goth promoter, try to book a few bands for the night. Check on the availability of guest DJ's in your area. As far as promotional items, go nuts. Put on a raffle and donate the ticket price to a local charity.
when rihanna released disturbia in 2008 i became goth— speed (@wormsona) May 19, 2017
Ok so how do i lure my crush into a death trap called relationship— grumpy goth (@sadwafffle) May 19, 2017
who tryna start a goth band w me on the 22nd pic.twitter.com/tUUcbmJTxv— elijah daniel (@elijahdaniel) May 17, 2017
person: so where do u want to live later in life— sakuma rei (@sakumazero_bot) May 17, 2017
me: uhhh what city has the highest goth per capita ratio