People who went to school with celebrities shared stories of them as weird, non-famous kids.
Can you even remember the names of your childhood friends and high school classmates? Probably not. That's what Facebook and high school reunions are for. But it's a lot easier to remember those people when they have the courtesy to become famous. Here are some stories from redditors who knew celebrities before they were famous.
1. User jackbeawesome recognized the star quality that would carry Angelina Jolie all the way to Hackers and beyond.
Went to HS with Angelina Jolie. She was a weird, weird girl and didn't seem to care what anyone thought about anything. I saw her once in LA and when she noticed me she smiled, waved and then made an obscene gesture...and then smiled again. Fricken weirdo.
2. The father of drowsydeku had a very handsome friend.
My dad went to high school with Brad Pitt. He has a doodle of dog poop drawn by Brad Pitt in his yearbook. Pitt wrote that it was his "trademark symbol".
3. LookWhatDannyMade grew up with one of the Dixie Chicks; the short one, back when she was even shorter.
I went to junior high and high school with Natalie Maines. She was very short, and I'm 6'6", so for some reason we always thought that it was funny to dance together at school dances. She was always very into music and performing, and was very outspoken. Big surprise, right? But she was also very kind, and stood up for people who were being hurt or bullied.
4. The mother of _Helena got to live out the real-life events that inspire Billy Madison, presumably.
My mom went to school with Adam Sandler. She said he was nerdy and her friend said he was a bad kisser.
5. This story from caysaw about Pharrell will make you "happy." (Get it, because he had that song "Happy"?)
Pharrell Williams went to my school. He was known as Skateboard P and wasn't the best student academically but he was a really nice guy. He handed out mix tapes of the Neptunes and everyone supported him. He was really high up in the marching band. He's always been a musician. He didn't graduate.
6. This characterization of Taylor Kitsch from g60syncro is worse than season two of True Detective and John Carter combined.
Went to school with Taylor Kitsch from first to twelfth grade. Complete and total douche bag. I'll sum it up in one first grade experience. During recess, while my back was turned, the egocentric douche pissed on me with one of my peers... Peed and laughed. Apparently being a douche gets you millions of dollars despite being a shitty actor...
7. Actor Ian Michael Smith starred in the tearjerker Simon Birch. User itsnotsobadright tried to make him sound mean, but just made him sound like kind of a badass.
I went to high school with the kid from simon birch. He was really smart, but kind of an ass. He would purposely roll over peoples toes with his automatic wheelchair.
8. Not sure if this account from a deleted user is a joke or not, but it sounds like Good Guy Gosling.
Ryan Gosling taught me how to tie my shoe and taught my friend how to read.
9. User verbtheadjectivenoun knew the "Zoom Zoom!" kid from those car commercials, who we all presumed was CGI or a robot or something.
Does going to high school with the Mazda "Zoom Zoom" kid count? Dude was a prick. I was in drama club with him and he had this attitude of being a much more accomplished actor than all of us despite the fact that he was primarily known for saying two words in a Mazda commercial. He one time ate a key fob. Was kicked out for something related to pot the year after I graduated.
10. Let it go, bigbrainonb-rad. Let it go. (Kristen Bell was in Frozen, where that song and phrase originate.)
I dated Kristen Bell in high school. She was the same. Good sense of humor...looked pretty much the same. I had no inkling she'd end up being so famous.
11. The story from animalcollectivity suggests there are somehow more, even hotter Hemsworths out there.
I went to high school with Liam Hemsworth. He was very nice, but didn't have much of a personality, and was quite unintelligent. His mum, on the other hand was one of our teachers and she was the hottest and best teacher I've ever had.
12. User fanggoria (and her French teacher) will not be a special on-stage #squad member guest any time soon.
My high school French teacher used to teach at Taylor Swift's school. Said she was a huge bitch and acted like she was better than everyone else. Didn't have any friends because she was so mean to people.
13. This story from cseesx is the least shocking thing on the Internet ever.
I went to school with Glenn Beck, he was a slimy creep and really full of himself.
14. Share this story from lifeisbutadream22 about Harry Connick, Jr. with your mom.
Harry Connick Jr was a couple years ahead of me in high school. Nice guy, but he didn't speak with that "soulful" accent he has now! If I remember correctly, he let some mice loose in the cafeteria as a senior prank, and they made him apologize over the P.A. In order to graduate.
15. Cavemanhero went to school with Chelsea Clinton, and also a bunch of really horrible people.
I went to school with Chelsea Clinton. I always remember her as being kind of a bitch, but now that I'm grown I can see why. The kids were merciless with her. Called her Chelsea flowers and whatnot, that's when the whole Jennifer flowers ordeal came out in the news. Secret service was at our school everyday with her. At some point before her father became president they pulled her out of school. That whole thing must have been difficult for a 12 or 13 year old.
16. See? Ghost1031 shows that Howie Mandel was funny once.
Howie Mandel went to my high school a while back. He got expelled because he apparently hired construction companies to the school to build additions to the school library.
17. The surprising thing about this Ryan Lochte story from a deleted account is that it's the first time anyone has mentioned Ryan Lochte without calling him dumb.
I used to swim with Ryan Lochte. Biggest asshole known to man. Would race people five years younger than he was to make himself feel faster.