Advertising

I remember scary-looking school lunches as a staple of kids' TV shows when I was growing up in the '90s, but in my experience, they were never quite as terrifying in real life. That is, until now. A student in the DuBois Area School District in Pennsylvania recently posted a picture of a nightmarish "hamburger" they were served from the school's cafeteria to Facebook. Get a load of this thing.

Advertising

The post created quite the social media buzz, with many commenters questioning if the hamburger was even safe to eat at all. Dr. Luke Lansberry, the school district's superintendent assured local news station WJAC that the burger looked unappetizing simply because it was "overcooked."

"Food service workers cooked the hamburgers at 170 degrees, when typically they are only required to cook at 155 degrees," Lansberry told WJAC. "There's a pretty good chance that hamburger was overcooked and a lot of the internal ingredients surfaced from that level of heat."

Advertising

Apparently overcooking beef patties turn them into some kind of weird prop from the set of Beetlejuice these days. And the fact that the school district didn't return a call asking about the burger's ingredients doesn't really help their case too much.

They did say, though, that as a precaution the school district will no longer buy that type of hamburger. Probably a good idea.