It's time to revisit one of our favorite topics: the many things that surprise foreigners the most about the good ole' US of A. This handy Reddit thread asked people from other places (ew!) as well as well-traveled patriots to share the things that would "shock non-Americans" but wouldn't cause a "second thought" in the best country in the world.
In a country where Florida News is an established trope, it takes quite an unbelievable story about the homeland to surprise an American. It takes considerably less for a foreigner.
1. Let's start with a rather positive note about Yankees, from citizen_coping. There will not be many more.
Although this comment was perhaps shared by an American, other redditors from around the world were quick to agree. Such as Dirtface1:
2. Other people had less stellar, saltier reviews of American customs, like this one from EnFlagranteDelicto:
3. Differentdog brings up something that's quite unthinkable.
4. Terpin piles onto the idea that Americans are just crazy friendly. Who knew?
5. American happiness is even more impressive considering the truth of this comment.
6. Whatever, thisimpetus, we're an interesting topic. Americans just happen to love talkin' bout Americans.