21 women share the 'female duties' they've been asked to do at work.

21 women share the 'female duties' they've been asked to do at work.

The workplace can be a tough place to navigate for anyone. Office politics can get you. Office cliques abound. But if you're a women in the workplace, especially in a male dominated field, you're often subjected to ridiculous requests, just because of your gender.

Here we've collected a list of some of the most common, most annoying, and most outlandish. Take a look, and let us know what you think.

1. ssssejin says:

I was asked at an all-men workplace if I could possibly take some time off during my lunch break to clean the kitchen, because 'we really don't know how to do it well'. I remember I was so shocked I only responded with a gaping mouth and a '...no??', but I have a feeling I radiated rage because they just gave me a timid nod, left and did not ever ask again.

2. Nonchalant_Storm says:

My boss started buying all sorts of kitchen tools (e.g., pots and pans, rice cooker, portable burner, etc.). I thought it was for the annual Christmas raffle he hosts for his employees.

Until one day at lunch, he turns to me and says, 'once the burner arrives, be sure to make a list of groceries you will need to start making lunch for the office. I assume you know how to cook since you are a woman.'
We work in a small office and I'm in HR...

3. wastingATP says:

unload the dishwasher. the company owner told me to, specifically cause i'm a woman. a guy coworker was with me and instantly started doing it. i love him.

4. Ann3Nym says:

I wasn't exactly asked but someone mentioned that 'we could have some coffee' and stared at me (like an unspoken request) and I stared right back :)

5. JayceeSR says:

Once in a male dominated office environment, I was asked by an older senior level manager to send a fax. I was in a higher level position myself, but I said “sure” and did it for him. The next time I needed a fax sent, I went over to him and asked if he would send it for me. He eyed me, then got up and sent it. We were great pals after that!

6. melissamarieeee says:

I do the accounting & payroll and they asked me to take over the task of cleaning of the offices; vacuuming, bathrooms, and trash cans.. I did agree to it for an extra $500 a month lmao and honestly it takes like 30-45 min a week to do and the bathrooms are much less scary than they used to be so its a win-win for me :)

7. HolidayControl9 says:

Organize the holiday parties

8. emojicatcher997 says:

I had a manager who couldn’t adhere to a deadline to save his life. He said that it was my job to remind him of his deadlines (because I’m female and therefore naturally organised), and would actually try to penalise me in my performance review for any deadlines he missed.

9. goodlordineedacoffee says:

I used to have a male boss who in meetings would always look at me and say, “you’re taking notes right?” I wasn’t in an admin role and he also never said the same to my male coworkers. I would then stop bringing any pens or paper with me other than meeting materials so I could say “no, but maybe [Joe] can”, and watch him wrestle with that for a minute in awkward silence.

10. goodlordineedacoffee says:

11. Taren612 says:

multiple times coworkers had to bring their children into work for different reasons and multiple times they assumed it was ok to leave them in my care while they went to meetings. never once was i asked.

12. dinnerwithchopsticks says:

I used to work in team with only males and I was the only one ever in charge of my colleagues birthdays (ordering a cake, inviting everyone to the cafeteria, etc.).

13. strong-4 says:

For potluck team lunch women were expected to cook something and get and men were excused to simply buy drinks, deserts etc.

14. Buttercup0803 says:

Ex-military. I had a supervisor that I’m pretty sure hated women. He stopped one of the guys (same rank as me) from cleaning the office and told him he wanted me to do it. He would bring me a notepad and tell me to “jot down his thoughts throughout the day.”

15. throwawaythethird_33 says:

I would have meetings with all male coworkers and clients. I was the neither the most junior or the newest hire. I was consistently asked to prepare the meeting room with snacks and coffee, never anyone else, including other male interns.

16. newmama1991 says:

I was a team lead and one of my laywer-teammembers asked a woman if she was the make up lady on picture day. This woman was the CTO of the company (1000+ employees)

17. C0deEve says:

Was asked to attend job interviews with my boss, to not speak, sit and do nothing for the sole purpose of looking pretty and lure newcomers.

18. DONTYOUDEER says:

I was my boss's unpaid therapist and that guy would give Colin Robinson a run for his money

19. schaisso says:

I was asked to organize a bunch of baby showers for people. I don't have any kids. I don't think I'm particularly good at putting together events like that. I was the only girl under the manager that asked me to until about a year ago. I've moved from that team since, and the new girl gets asked to do them now. 😭

20. Ww_Leslie_Knope_do says:

Once I was eating sliced radishes at my desk. My male coworker saw that, said he loved radishes, and asked if I could get some for him and throw on some salt. When I suggested he slice his own, he literally said it was too much work. Same coworker suggested to a room full of male students that I should provide them all with snacks.

When I laughed thinking it was a joke, he looked at me dead serious and told me it was MY JOB because I’m a woman and then accused me of wanting them to go hungry. F that noise.

21. FuzzyBlanketThrow

I work in an office off of a warehouse. All the warehouse workers are guys. They have their own break room and they let a coffee maker go to shit because they never cleaned it.

Recently one guy ask me to make him a cup of coffee. He was a new guy so the coffee maker issue wasn’t his fault. He was also sick. And asked very nicely. And his mom and my mom also happen to be very good friends. So I decided to be nice and make him a cup.

For the following week EVERY GUY in the warehouse asked me to make them coffee every morning. Give an inch, they take a mile.