For better or worse, mostly worse, we all have to live with a roommate at some point. And if your roommates have insane expectations or unreasonable demands, the sanctity of the home can completely fall apart. Just ask the following people, who shared with Reddit the craziest things a cohabitant ever requested of them.
1. Not_Always_A_Menace is such a jerk, flaunting his body all over his own bedroom.
Last year I roomed with a sort-of friend from high school. Socially impaired guy, really smart, but horrible self-image and low self-esteem, like myself.
He tried to tell me I wasn't allowed to be shirtless in our room because, paraphrasing, "well I'm not comfortable with my body so why should you be able to show you're comfortable with yours?"
2. Alphabetasoup7391 experienced all the pitfalls of being roommates with Snow White.
"I know you have mono but my SEVEN best friends are visiting and we'll need your bed. Could you find a guy to hook up with tonight or something?"
3. Kapibara42 had the kind of roommate who had trouble following the many nuances of Snooki's motivations.
"Stop walking in front of the TV so slowly I'm missing parts of my show" 1. To get to the kitchen you had to walk in front of the TV 2. Took me less than 2 seconds 3. She was watching Jersey Shore.
4. DooDooBrownz adds in their two cents. Well, one cent.
lived with a dude who moved his boyfriend into his room without asking anyone else in the house and let him stay there without contributing anything to rent or utilities because "he needed a place to stay" and yet wanted me to pay extra for utilities and rent because my gf would use the shower when she stayed over on the weekend. i added a penny to my rent check a few times with "extra for gf's water usage" on the memo line
5. Roommates like the one krabitz had are why gas station burritos were invented.
My roommate during my senior year of college had no idea of how to cook. Add to the fact that he was a major dick, and was super entitled.
He kept asking me to cook for him, even to the point of yelling and demanding me to make him a good meal because he was, "too tired to cook" and felt it was "too much work"... Asshole..
6. That sound you hear, C0ncept8, is the sound of hypocrisy.
That he can play music from speakers, but I can only play it from headphones
7. User saltedstar should've been doing that in the privacy of his own home. But, like, further inside of it.
"Could you guys not hug so much? I'm all alone it's just rubbing it in my face." My former room mate to my wife and I. He wasn't kidding.
8. That's when you put the water bill in your name, crunch816, and put all your roommate's stuff in the shower.
The utilities are my bill so you're not allowed to turn your PC on.
9. TheTangeMan roomed with the world's dumbest environmentalist.
I'm going to throw out all of your cleaning supplies if they aren't green or eco-friendly....the irony was completely lost on him.
10. Butwhatsmyname is so weird he wanted to populate his home with objects and possessions.
"I don't want bits of your stuff out all over the place. I want the flat to look clean and minimalist... like a Holiday Inn. Yeah, I want it to look like a hotel. None of these... photos and knicknacks and things."
She didn't want any picture frames or figurines or anything other than books on the bookshelves to reveal that human people lived permanently in our flat.
11. Your pizza, 1BoiledCabbage, our pizza.
She once told me to save some of my pizza that I bought for her friends that where coming over. Yeah, no. YOU can save YOUR pizza that YOU bought for your friends. I'm going to eat my pizza. If your friends don't have anything to eat and you don't want them eating your pizza, order something.
12. Merry_Pippins had a roommate from the future, where bathrooms are self-cleaning.
I lived with someone who didn't believe cleaning the bathroom was a chore, so he refused to do it. I had a huge argument with him, and he said that by its nature, it's just always clean, so he wasn't going to do it. It was clean because I kept getting grossed out and cleaning it! >_<
13. But that's where all the good candy is, drunkerbrawler.
That I leave my door unlocked so she would have access to my room while I was at work.
14. You owe him that courtesy, nekedslumber4evr.
An old roommate requested that I sleep with clothes on so when he came into my room at night to take my bong/Xbox/etc., without my knowledge, he wouldn't have to see my naked body...
15. Well shinyhappycat, you should've thought about your chore schedule before you were diagnosed with a brain tumor.
I was going through chemo and radiotherapy for a brain tumour. My housemates drew up a full cleaning rota and bitched when I hadn't cleaned the bathroom. They demanded I cleaned it right there and then - as I was passed out on my bed after a tortuous chemo session.
16. Your move, Anthropolyte.
"Stop using the toilet in the middle of the night, it wakes me up."
Fine then Brian, I'll just quietly shit on the foot of your bed.
17. LillyYoyoINeedGogert had nowhere to put her bedroomtries.
That all of my toiletries be kept in my room, as she has a pattern she likes to lay hers out in, and mine disrupt it.
18. They're for washcloths, boopboopbird. Lots and lots of washcloths.
And we weren't allowed to keep towels in the bathroom because that's 'not where they go'. Not even to dry your hands. Our bathroom was literally filled with empty towel racks. Not sure what she believed the purpose of those to be.