Advertising

In Germany, a group of teenagers landed themselves in deep trouble, and their friend in the hospital, after they tried to "prank" him with a fully-functional chainsaw. The Daily Mail reports that the 18-year-old victim was partying during the Christmas holiday with four friends between the ages of 15 and 22 in their hometown of Wickede in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. At some point, he passed out on the couch, which is when they decided to play an awesome prank on him with a chainsaw they just happened to have handy. They were inspired by this 2015 viral video from Norway:

Advertising

But they forgot one key detail: in that video, the prankster had removed the chain first. Although noisy and terrifying, that chainsaw was harmless. The prank was cruel and evil, but not dangerous. The German youths apparently didn't think that part was particularly important.

So when the 22-year-old brandished a running chainsaw at his sleeping "friend," there was nothing to protect him. Police spokesman Wolfgang Lueckenkemper said:

[The victim] was so frightened that he tried to push the blade away, and was badly injured in his left hand … The 22-year-old told us that he was sure he had switched on the chain brake. But the chain had turned.

Advertising

Oh, that tricky chain brake. You can never depend on it when it counts—like when you almost cut off your friend's hand.

The victim was rushed to the hospital, where his four friends were also treated for shock. The 22-year-old likely faces charges of inflicting dangerous bodily injury. Amazingly, his blood tested negative for alcohol, which kind of makes the whole story more embarrassing. If you're going to maim your friend with a harebrained prank gone wrong, you could at least have the decency of getting blackout drunk first.

Sources: The Daily Mail