So, when a frustrated woman decided to consult the moral compass of the internet otherwise known as Reddit's "Am I the As*hole?" about her mother-in-law's mishap in her kitchen, people were quick to help deem a verdict.
My husband (40m) and I (36f) live across the country from our families with our toddler in a very small house. My in-laws are retired and cross country flights are expensive, so they usually come for at least a week.
This time they came for 2. I'm an introvert and a stay at home mom, so having house guests around 24/7 in a very small house for 2 weeks is exhausting! But they are generally pretty cool and my kid adores them, so I just suck it up and deal with it.
I take the kid out one morning and come home to my house smelling like death and fire. My MIL had put a dozen eggs on to boil and then gone for a walk and forgot to take them off. Cut to the water boiling out, the eggs burning and exploding all over my kitchen and burnt egg smell permeating every thing in my house. (I'll mention my kid is allergic to eggs and I have a phobia level aversion to them, especially the smell.)