If there was a way to completely skip the pageantry and awkwardness of first dates altogether, I honestly believe 90% (or more) of people would take that route.
But even in the world of casual hookups, there's still the inevitable first few conversations you have to slough through in order to gauge any form of compatibility.
While most people will forgive and understand slight bouts of awkwardness during a first date, there are certain behaviors that will relegate the possibility of a second date to distant fiction.
A thread started by Reddit user Werneker posed the crucial question: What's the worst thing you've done on a first date?!
Hoo boy, the answers are both rich and relatable.
Here are the 17 worst first date anecdotes that stuck out to me the most.
1. Failing the basics.
2. When you forgot why you came in the first place.
3. When your date is TOO free-spirited.
4. When your anxiety truly gets the best of you.
5. Simple, but gross.
6. When you somehow strand your date.
7. When you gas it up a little too hard.
8. When dad jokes go wrong.
9. When you lead with sex.
10. When the world is just too much.
11. When you literally smash your date.
12. When you swap your date.
13. When you gotta get out of there.
14. When you completely miss the hint.
15. When your stomach cock-blocks you.
16. When you treat it like a job interview.
17. When you completely drench them.
Hopefully these dates-gone-wrong at least make you feel a LITTLE bit better about what a crapshoot the dating world is.