83% of doctors do this gross thing that puts your health at risk.

83% of doctors do this gross thing that puts your health at risk.
Advertising

If you guessed "going into work while they have diarrhea," you're partially correct!

//cdn.someecards.com/posts/thinkstockphotos-76801640-Ditm.jpg

"I threw up this morning. Now let's talk about that heart surgery." (via Thinkstock)

The next time your doctor asks you to turn your head and cough, he might just be doing it to cover his own hacking. According to a recent survey at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, a huge number of doctors and other medical professionals come to work when they're sick. The survey showed that 83 percent of doctors "had come to work with symptoms like diarrhea, fever and respiratory complaints during the previous year." This is despite 95% of respondents in the same survey thinking that working while sick can put patients at risk. (Also, what's up with the other 5% of doctors, who obviously know how contagious diseases work, being like "Nah, it's cool, bro."?)

Advertising

The reason why they don't take a day off is the same reason why so many of us don't — that they don't want to be a burden to their coworkers, and that it's part of our culture to power through sickness unless it's really bad. According to the Reuters article about the study, "Many said they don't call in sick because they don't want to let colleagues or patients down by taking a sick day, and they were concerned about finding staff to cover their absence."

Coming into work when you're sick is an issue at businesses across America, especially since over 1/3 of workers don't get paid sick leave. But doctors, you can't tell me that you don't get paid sick leave. So make yourself a hot tea, and curl up on the couch when you're sick, OK? I know you have plenty of Netflix to catch up on, and I'd really like it if you kept your diarrhea at home.

Advertising