Advertising

Video captured the terrifying moment when a customer at an Indian restaurant was temporarily blinded by a chef who threw a cloud of extremely spicy chili powder directly into his eyes.

"What was meant to be a quick meal out with David turned out to be one of the most frightening times we've had."

David Evans, 46, was out for dinner with his wife Michelle at the Prince of Bengal in Tonypandy, South Wales, when they complained to their waiter that their curry was "tough and rubbery."

The waiter passed that info along to the chef, who apparently could not take the criticism. He came out of the kitchen to personally swear at and berate the couple.

Advertising

"What was meant to be a quick meal out with David turned out to be one of the most frightening times we've had," Evans wife, Michelle, told the Daily Mail.

The Indian chef came to our table, he was extremely rude and aggressive and accused us of not wanting to pay for our food. We said we would eat the rest of our food but the meat was really not edible.

He started swearing at me, so David said 'there's no need to swear at my wife.'

The chef caused quite a scene and was shouting and swearing so David walked back to the kitchen door with him asking for an apology.

Advertising

What happens next is the horror shown in the video.

Evans walked into the kitchen, and the chef threw a cloud of chili pepper directly into his face.

My eyes are tearing just looking at this.
My eyes are tearing just looking at this.

He instantly thought he had been blinded and didn't know what he'd thrown at him, he was shaking in shock, hanging on to the counter being sick thinking he was going to go blind.

'It was horrific. He said he's never had so much pain in his life and was extremely distressed. Not one member of staff came to him to help or even ask if he was ok.

'We were in the toilet splashing water on his eyes until the police and ambulance came and he was treated straight away in A&E. '

Advertising

Once at the hospital, David had drips attached to his eyes to flush out the powder that had also caused burns on his face and chest.

This is like a terrible reverse "Clockwork Orange" situation.
This is like a terrible reverse "Clockwork Orange" situation.

The chef, Chef Kamrul Islam, 46, has been arrested for assault, but is claiming self-defense.

I ran into the kitchen to get away from him but he followed me. He was being very aggressive and pushed past another member of staff.

'I was frightened and grabbed a handfull of chilli just in case I needed to defend myself. Chilli will burn but it is not life threatening.

'I've been running this restaurant for 18 years and I've never had to do anything like this. I'm very upset by it all.'

Advertising

This isn't the first time a restaurant has tried to turn things around on their customers, but this chef's defense is pretty slim. Throwing the chili powder might not have been life threatening, but doctors say this was a very dangerous situation that would have caused permanent damage has Evans not been rushed to the emergency room.