AskReddit is a great place to go when you have a question that you are too embarrassed to ask someone in real life. That'ls probably what inspired the thread entitled, "how soon after a coworker dies is it ok to eat their food out of the company fridge?" Yes, that is a horrible thing to ask. Yes, horrible people answered. It was all very horrible, but also weirdly informative. Here is what Reddit had to say.
1. ninjajesus101 was rightfully concerned, but not concerned enough to stop them from answering.
...I am deeply concerned on what caused you to ask this question. Also immediately. They can't complain.
2. locofarmer is not playing games when it comes to free food and dead coworkers.
Right away. Preferably while people are busy signing the sympathy card.
It's a fucking jungle out there, man.
3. However, Stinkyfingr thinks there is a proper window to wait.
You should wait at least a good 5 to 10 minutes.
4. And glendon24 thinks the protocol is after the company is officially informed.
Once the company wide email goes out.
5. somanytomaetoes has a logical answer, but doesn't seem to be in a rush.
before it goes bad ideally
6. While MegatonBomber thinks you should strike while the iron is hot.
When they're dead. It's free for all.
7. billssideaccount may be planning to kill their coworker?
2 weeks before
8. MacManus47's method is a little manipulative, but probably effective.
As soon as you can master the speech you'll give to coworkers about how "Everybody grieves in different ways, and this is mine."
9. Gaulbat has experience with this. Weirdly, they seem more upset about not eating their dead coworker's food than they do about having a dead coworker.
this actually happened to me lol...The delivery guy at the pizza place I worked at died in a motorcycle crash. We found 3 of his tupperware containers but unfortunately the food was too old to eat :(
10. catladygoals has limits, okay?
The next day, as long is it isn't their birthday cake.
11. But the best answer of all has to be from GreenBananaTruthers.
As soon as the cause of death is confirmed NOT to be food poisoning.