In a story that quickly goes from funny to tragic, NBC News reports that Nathan MacClain, former owner of Zany Zoo Pet Store in Eugene, Oregon, has been arrested for allegedly stealing a Galago (a bush baby), a laptop, and Girl Scout cookie money from his store to tip a prostitute. An investigation into the robbery led police to an out-of-town prostitute in possession of the little fella in her hotel room.
The bush baby, perfectly named "Gooey," is in safe custody, as you can see above.
"Still funny, not tragic," you may be saying to yourself. Well, MacClain was found driving under the influence of methamphetamine two days after the primate's recovery, which likely explains why his better judgment told him to see prostitutes and steal animals to tip them.
MacClain has not been convicted yet, and Abbie MacClain, Nathan's wife and current owner of Zany Zoo Pet Store, didn't even suspect her husband's involvement until police contacted her. The store took to Facebook to address the incident and the difficulties that have befallen their family in the aftermath of Gooey's kidnapping.
Here's the full message.
This post is in regard to the recent news being spread around Facebook by KEZI and others about the arrest of Nathan McClain.
The owner of Zany Zoo Pets is Abbie McClain, Nathan's wife.
1. When Abbie heard about Nate's possible wrongdoing, she immediately began getting his name off the business and banking accounts.
2. Abbie and her kids are suffering right now through this tragedy and trying to figure out the best course of action. Thank you to those of you that understand this and are supporting Abbie.
3. Nathan McClain will have no further association with Zany Zoo.
4. Abbie has been cooperating with the investigation. She personally thought that someone broke in to the store and stole her beloved animal and money and had no reason to suspect otherwise until contacted by the police.
5. She is now waiting to see whether charges are brought against Nathan related to the theft. At this point he is charged with soliciting a prostitute.
6. Please respect that the real victim here is Nathan's family and keep any negative comments off the Zany Zoo page as it is no longer affiliated with Nathan McClain.
We will delete any comments related to this story so that we can effectively serve our customers. Nathan's potential wrongdoing has no bearing on our ability to care for our animals and customers.
Hopefully the MacClain family can work their issues out and return to the halcyon days of the exotic animal business sooner rather than later.