Although preppiness was a strong theme, the styles were still as numerous as the nations involved in the Olympic Games—nevertheless, only some can ignite the excitement of social media. Here, based on nothing empirical and in no particular order, are some of the best uniforms nations dressed their athletes in for the Olympic Games in Rio.
1. Tonga. Well, specifically this guy. Let's just get this out of the way: the internet went a little nuts over Pita Taufatofua, Tonga's Taekwondo champion and flag bearer.
Ok. With that out of the way, the mortals:
2. The Barbados proved the dream of the 70s will never die.
3. O, Canada, you rascals.
4. Cook Islands tried to blend in and ended up standing out.
5. Angola departed from the primary colors, but kept a classic style.
6. Burundi skipped the preppy theme gripping much of the world with elegant and colorful fabrics.
7. Russia (the ones who made it, anyway) dressed like students at a nautical-themed boarding school.
8. The flag-bearer for Papua New Guinea isn't really the best-dressed, but you've got to admire the guts it takes to go this casual.
9. Norway wore confetti camouflage.
10. Aruba continuing the Caribbean's dominance in the outfit competition.
11. St. Lucia fielded the most athletic team of real-estate agents the world has ever seen.
12. The J. Crewnited States of America.
13. New Zealand went all-black, led by these two gentlemen in these capes.
14. Mongolia('s flag-bearer).
15. Mozambique? More like Mozamboutique!
16. Colombia won the hat category.
17. Australia is both an island continent nation and a Hogwarts house.
18. Poland represented its traditional tie-dye skirts.
19. Tiny Montenegro is apparently home to a large wizarding school.
20. And finally, Bermuda, doin' what Bermuda do.