This woman is suing a bar after one of their specialty cocktails ate a hole in her stomach.

This woman is suing a bar after one of their specialty cocktails ate a hole in her stomach.
Advertising

Gaby Scanlon, of Lancaster, England, had two of the famous "liquid nitrogen" cocktails at Oscar's Wine Bar for her 18th birthday celebration. All of a sudden, she "collapsed in agony" with "steam pouring from her mouth and nose." She had to be rushed to the hospital, where stomach was removed in order to save her life.

This woman is suing a bar after one of their specialty cocktails ate a hole in her stomach.
This is what happens when you drink and do chemistry.
Thinkstock

Liquid nitrogen is nitrogen gas cooled down to almost -200˚ Celsius, and it can cause cryogenic burns when it comes in contact with flesh or tissue. It also makes a cool smoking effect when poured into drinks, so naturally, gimmicky bars like to serve it. To serve it safely in a drink, however, the drink needs to sit for at least 10 seconds after the nitrogen has been poured. This allows it to turn into gas and warm up a bit. 

The bar had consulted with a cryogenics company and an environmental health officer about the use of the gas in their cocktails, but in Scanlon's case, they failed to adhere to the 10-second rule. Upon consumption, the liquid nitrogen began killing the internal tissue of her stomach. After she was rushed to the hospital and her stomach was removed in surgery, her esophagus had to be directly connected to her bowel. Even though that sounds like a crazy horror movie operation, the human body can adjust to it. Scanlon will still suffer from stomach pain, risk of bacterial infection, and vitamin deficiency, but things definitely could've been a lot worse. 

Advertising

The bar pleaded guilty to violating the Health and Safety at Work Act and was fined "£100,000 with £40,000 costs" (in total, this is around $200,000). This serves as a warning to avoid alcoholic drinks that can kill you instantly, and just stick with the ones that can kill you slowly over a few decades.

Advertising