A San Diego man paid a steep price in money and health in his effort to take the ultimate selfie.
I love the quote in this video. Wait until you hear how he got bit. @10News at 11. pic.twitter.com/Gs4ISAVzeE
— Dan Haggerty (@10NewsHaggerty) July 14, 2015
Have selfies finally gone too far? No, they went too far years ago. But consider this further proof.
Todd Fassler was trying to get a selfie with a rattlesnake he found in some brush when the reptile did something peculiar: it bit him. Next thing he knew, he was in the hospital, nursing a grotesquely swollen arm and making weird homemade Pepsi ads from his bed.
Doctors had to deplete the antivenom reserves of two hospitals to save his life, and that stuff doesn't come cheap. Days after his story ran on the local news, he sent this picture of his bill to the ABC10 reporter who covered it:
Remember the Rattlesnake bite story I did Monday? Guy just sent me this pic of his bill. Uhhhhhhh..... pic.twitter.com/ahK2W9KxVg
— Dan Haggerty (@10NewsHaggerty) July 16, 2015
Ouch. $150,000 is a high cost for a selfie he didn't even manage to get. In case you think Fassler should have known better, you don't know how right you are. It turns out he's owned a pet rattlesnake in the past. He sent ABC10 this video of him releasing the critter into the wild:
Snake guy. Back at it. What's another $150K, right? Snake almost killed him 2 weeks ago. The rest on @10News at 11. pic.twitter.com/kkL25LUY0z
— Dan Haggerty (@10NewsHaggerty) July 17, 2015
It's not entirely clear whether he released his "baby" before or after the biting incident. It's also not clear how he plans to pay his $150,000 bill. Or why he keeps sending clips to the local news like they're his pen pals. There are a lot of mysteries in this story, and I'm not holding my breath for answers.