Advertising

Chemese Armstrong, a 34 year-old health blogger from Abilene, Texas, recently took a trip to an Austin salon, which was quickly followed by a trip to the emergency room after a harsh allergic reaction to hair dye caused her eyes to swell shut. Armstrong posted pictures of her allergically-enlarged cranium to Instagram, which she alleges was due to henna, the natural plant-based dye she'd tried using as an alternative to hair dyes containing the chemical paraphenylenediamine (PPD). The blogger had learned years before that she had an allergy to PPD, and was trying to be smart about avoiding it: unluckily for her, it turns out the kind of henna this salon used contained PPD as well.

Sources: Chemese Armstrong | Chemese (YouTube)