20-year-old almost dies after leaving tampon in for nine days.

20-year-old almost dies after leaving tampon in for nine days.
Advertising

A 20-year-old British woman almost died from toxic shock syndrome (TSS) after leaving a tampon in for nine days due to forgetfulness during her final exams, according to the Daily Mail. "When I finally realized, I pulled it out," she's quoted as saying. "It was pure black. I wouldn't have known what it was apart from the string. It was horrible. I immediately chucked it in the loo, I felt sick."

20-year-old almost dies after leaving tampon in for nine days.
Maybe freebleeders are onto something.
Shutterstock

By the way—if you are reading this and think this young woman is stupid, congratulations: you're probably a man! Because most women have a story about forgetting that they put a tampon in because the string goes up inside them. Sometimes they accidentally put two tampons in at once for this reason! Women have to deal with a lot of stress and that makes them forgetful sometimes and the insides of vaginas are not particularly sensitive (all the important nerve endings are outside the body on the clitoris, you hear?) and that's fine, okay???

Anyway.

Advertising

Toxic shock syndrome is a pretty rare infection, even if you leave a tampon in for too long, but when it happens, it can be fatal. Even after this woman removed the tampon, she felt deathly sick from TSS and blood poisoning; it was only after three days in the hospital being given antibiotics intravenously that she recovered. Still, she temporarily lost all mobility, and still struggles with walking, according to the Daily Mail.

So that's another thing to stress out about during your period.

Advertising