Entertainment made for kids hasn't always been all sunshine and obnoxious songs. In fact, some children's entertainment used to be straight-up scary, as the illustrations on this list demonstrate. Occasionally, it was with a purpose; some of the images below were meant to scare kids into good behavior. Other images, however, appear to be horrifying without any awareness that they were being horrifying, like an uncle who describes his farts at the dinner table.
No matter why these terrifying drawings were made, enjoy the pure nightmare fuel of these images, and be glad that the scariest thing your parents read you as a kid was Where the Wild Things Are.
1. This black-eyed demon child with mouth rot from 1876.
2. This lock-jawed man who is living in constant pain and horror, 1862.
3. This cannonball going through a man's leg, 1922.
4. This girl who's on fire, but not in the cool Alicia Keys way, 1904.
5. This child who appears to have severe burns and maybe lost her mind in the fire, 1862.
6. This adult man cutting off a boy's thumb with what appear to be ceremonial ribbon-cutting scissors, 1904.
7. This girl whose doll will 100% come kill you if you don't do exactly what she says, 1862.
8. This cat that is obviously abusing steroids, 1851.
9. This red-face man choking on a giant potato, 1862.
10. This nightmare, 1904.
Bonus: The story of this child who killed his dog by accident, 1875.
RELATED: 10 dirty sex jokes from the 1700s.