On the occasion of his 20th birthday, Yuma Hasegawa was given a beautifully-wrapped envelope on fancy stationary, perfectly tied together with a bow. In a masterful trolling move, instead of a heartfelt letter, or a check just as fancy as the packaging it came in, Hasegawa got a firm "Notice of Expiration of Child-Rearing," written by his parents. The notice explained the new rules and reality now that he was no longer a teenager.
His parents were kind enough to remind him that he is now at the age that if he commits a crime he will be shown on the news, and while he can legally get married without his parents' permission, "they may not emotionally accept your wife as their daughter-in-law if you don't discuss the situation without them beforehand." (That makes more sense as "with them," but sadly we have no choice but to trust RocketNews24's translation. Anyone read Japanese?) They will even begin charging rent for continued residence in the Hasegawa family home.
His Tweet reads, "a stern gift from Mom and Dad," with a pic of the letter.
Here's the full letter, in English for your convenience:
'Happy 20th Birthday!
Notice of Expiration of Child-Rearing Services
As of October 4, 2015, your father, Yoshikazu Hasegawa, and mother, Chiaki Hasegawa, have completed their duties of raising their child: you, Yuma Hasegawa.
Going forward, please become a proper and responsible member of society... like your father and mother.
In addition, should you continue living in the Hasegawa family home, please make a monthly payment of 20,000 yen (£110) for rent, utility and grocery expenses.
Also, please be aware that should you ask for a loan from your parents, interest will be charged.
Points to note upon reaching the age of 20:
– You must make compulsory national pension payments. If you put this off it will cause problems, so make the payments.
– Should you commit a crime, your face and name can now be shown on television and in newspapers. You will also have a permanent criminal record.
– You can now buy alcohol and tobacco products. Do not drive while intoxicated.
– You can get married without your parents' permission. However, they may not emotionally accept your wife as their daughter-in-law if you don't discuss the situation without them beforehand.
– Think responsibly about the future and set aside an adequate amount of savings from the money you earn.
Please enjoy your life as an adult.'
Thanks, Mom and Dad. Will do.