At first glance, this photo of redditor narcolepsyinc drawing with his daughter seems perfectly sweet. But, as your eyes scroll down, you may be disconcerted by what looks like some very unnatural proportions. It's only at third glance that things will finally make sense, but that's far too many times to glance at a picture. See for yourself:
narcolepsyinc added this caption to his photo:
My wife took a picture of my daughter drawing with me. At first glance, it looks like she's standing next to me, and I have very dainty feet.
Once you get it, it's not hard to see what causes the illusion. His daughter's jacket is hanging down, making it seem like she's standing. Meanwhile, her legs and the chair are shadowed, making it plausible that her feet are on a different perspective plane. An expert in visual perception would probably be very excited by this photo, but listening to him or her describe why would be boring.
If you enjoyed the way this photo pointed out your brain's limitations, check out these other great optical illusions:
- The Internet is going crazy trying to spot the animal hidden in this optical illusion.
- This girl's mind-bending optical illusion tattoo is starting a viral dialogue about depression.
- This ‘reverspective’ painting by artist Patrick Hughes is super duper trippy.
- Woman runs her hands through her secretly magic hairdo and melts the Internet's brain.
- There are no private parts in this picture. Honestly.
- This trippy color-changing cake is much better than The Dress because you can eat it.
- 7 optical illusions that caused the Internet to lose its mind in 2015.