Victoria Dawson managed to save her four-month-old son after he choked on milk while breastfeeding. The mom from Lincolnshire, England, was feeding her son Eddie when he coughed and then stopped breathing entirely. Dawson said it was terrifying and happened suddenly; soon he was motionless and losing color in his face. Thankfully, she had the training to act quickly, plus help from her partner Alex.
Dawson is a nurse, and described her first attempts at clearing her son's airway:
I gave him rescue breaths while my partner was on the phone to the emergency services, then got Eddie on the floor and started CPR. After a couple of compressions, Eddie began to respond slowly.
He made a full recovery, and spent a night in the hospital before returning home the next day. Dawson is up for Hero Parent of the Year category in the St John Ambulance Everyday Heroes Awards, which is an actual awards program for people that use first aid to save a life.
Awards are lovely, but she's probably most thankful that Eddie is alive and well.