Man wisely tries to kill spider with fire; unwisely forgets he's at a gas station.

Man wisely tries to kill spider with fire; unwisely forgets he's at a gas station.
Advertising

"Kill it with fire" is the standard Internet response to spiders, whether there are hundreds of millions of them blanketing an abandoned factory, falling off the ceiling in clumps in an infested house, or merely exploding into a few hundred mini-spiders when they're smashed. This rule, however, does not apply at gas stations. Someone forgot to tell this crucial fact to a man in Center Line, Michigan, just north of Detroit. The man later admitted to being deathly afraid of spiders and having panicked when he saw one on his gas tank, which led him to grab his lighter. I bet you can predict what happened next:

Fortunately, gas station employee Susan Adams calmly hit the automatic shutoff switch to the gas when she saw what this man's spider-fear had wrought, limiting the damage to a single pump. Apparently, the other employees at the gas station have all been watching the security tape over and over since this happened earlier this week. The shame hasn't deterred the man from being a regular customer, however, and he returned the same day. "He was sorry," said Susan Adams, "He was sorry, he said he didn't know. It is just one of those things that happen - stupidity." I couldn't have put it better myself.

Advertising